Monday, March 2, 2009

Epic moutains and landslides in Guatemala.

So we have been biking for a couple of days straight since we stayed in Coban , Guatemala. We have been sleeping in Peublas and restaurants that we pass by.
The mountains here make all the hills in my home town look like pimples. The terrain gets really rough sometimes which makes it especially dificult while riding up hill.
So the other day we were riding along having a nice day when we passed by a small town to get lunch. A man in the town said we wouldnt be able to continue on the main road because of the ´derrumbe´. So after a couple more hours of riding in the deep jungles of Guatemala, you could see this huge giant dirt mound from a distance. As we got closer and closer we realized that the road was destroyed and was covered with huge rocks and dirt. As we got to the end of the road there was a homemade fence made out of sticks and cloth to prevent people from crossing over. We all got off our bikes and climbed over the fence and went to the edge of the cliff to check out the scene. It was a beautiful site, and an amazing view. We talked to the security guard who was at the fence and he told us that it happened about a month ago and it killed about 130 people.As we looked down we saw a small little road which crossed underneath the cliff and went to the other side where the road continued. So we knew we would have to take that path since it as the only way to go. So we went back a couple hundred feet where a microbus was parked with about 20 people outside of it hanging around. We all took our bikes down this really dangerous narrow steep path that was filled with rocks and dips and sticks and whatnot. That was the road that everyone used to cross to the other side. Pretty much everyone road there bikes down it but I decided to walk down it with my bike. I fell over about 12 times since I walked down the whole road because I didnt feel safe riding down it. Luckily some of the people that were crossing the path decided to help me walk my bike down the hill. They were hard workers who carried huge machetes, which is normal and common down here. (We first started seeing everyone carrying machetes while in Chiapas, where there are lots of crops and deep thick jungles.) So after they helped me walk my bike down the bottom of the landslide it started getting easier to ride my bike, so I thanked them and shook all of their hands and began to ride uphill. But the hill was epic and full of more rocks and bumps and I couldnt really make it up the hill. So the guys helped me walk my bike (which probably weighs about 150 lbs or more),all the way up this huge hill. It was very tiring and took so much energy out of me. Then as we made it up the hill we realized that there was no road at all because the landslide pretty muh just destoyed it all, so we all had to take all of our luggage off our bikes and walk it through the jungle for about half a mile until we reached a dirt road. So pretty much everyone who crossed the path helped us carry everything to the road. We gave some of the guys who stayed around a tip of 10 quitales each. I was really whiped from that crazy adventure and we all needed a nice sleep.
The next morning we had a pretty good ride and all met up to eat breakfast. We found out that Dave got robbed by gunpoint by two teenagers who were wearing masks. They tried to rob Jared also but Jared just kept riding on even though they pointed the gun at him. It was a pretty unexpected and shocking story. Luckily they let Dave go after he gave them 50 quitales.
Later on in the day we came across hills that seemed never ending. They just kept getting higher and higher and steeper and steeper. I was in front of the whole group by half a mile or so and stopped half way in the middle of the huge mountain to a little Puebla where I filled up my water bottle. I layed down on the ground to take a little rest. Eventually everyone else showed up and a man from one of the houses came over and invited us to his house for some juice and water.
Everyday has been an epic journey and I am enjoying every minute that passes by.
I have been starting to get a little home sick and I miss everyone back home. But I know I will see everyone eventually after my trip.

1 comment:

  1. That story sounded scary!
    50 quetzal is about $6 us dollars.

    ReplyDelete