Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Stomach Problems, Chichicastanango and Panajachel

So my stomach started to hurt a lot while we were in the town before Chichicastanango and the riding started to get brutal because of all of the hills and mountains. We played a show in a little Peubla that we rode to at an end of a long day of epic riding. Everyone was really nice and accomadating to us and they let sleep in a community center type of building. I think it was there where I ate something full of hungry stomach cramping, non stopping diariah giving bacterias. The next morning it was time to ride on what was suposed to be a 4 or 5 day journey to Chichicastanango. My stomach and Caras stomach started to feel really bad and uncomfortable. So Cara told us that Jared, Corey and herself were going to take a bus ride to Chichi which would be about 5 hours conpared to 5 days. That way Jared would be able to get some work done on the system. But thats when I decided to just bail out on riding as well and decided I would like to take a bus too because I wasnt feeling so well. So me and Dave both took a couple buses to Chichi while Kipchoge and Laughter were left to ride for days on end. Oh yeah, and by the way Laughter is a 54 year old Woman from the crazy mountains of California. So me and Dave made it to chi chi where I got lost within a alf hour of getting there. The crowds were swaming with all sorts of people from sketchy to hungry and to helpful and kind people. I found an internet cafe and dave rode by with some fellow travelers. We found a hotel and met up with Cara, Jared and Corey the next day. That day was full of unpleasant gas, extra large bloatage of my stomach, and really really unpleasant cramps. I went to the doctors and I took a fecal exame and the results said I have a large source of bacteria in my stomach. It was probably the worst stomach pain I ever had in my life. I slept for like 2 days straight and I havent been feeling hungry at all. The doctor subcribed me to some medication that I have been taking. So we will see how I feel in a week or so.
Before we left Chichi we all agreed that we would go to El Salvador next and then bus to Costa Rica and bike down to Panama. We are currently in Panajachel which is a really cool town right next to a beautiful lake with 3 Volcanos in site, right near Antigua. The hills and terrain are just getting tougher eachday but I am still surviving somewhat. Hopefully I will start to feel better soon. If not I may leave the group and head back up to Mexico alone to a big Hospital. But I doubt I will need that.
Anyways today I hitched by myself and rode about 12 km from where the truck dropped me off to Panajachel, I went to an awesome market and bought some delicious fruit. Shortly after I bought the fruit about 4 small children who were full of life started asking me for money and they were a little dirty. I had big bills on me so I gave them 2 mangos and 2 bananas. They wanted 2 more mangos but I decided that they would be beneficial for the near future. Anyways I made it into town where I directly went into a cool little restaurant that was playing loud jazz music and had a drum kit set up. I worked my magic and got the band a show within the same day and I got free lunch and dinner. The owner is a really cool guy along with the rest of his family and coworkers and friends. Everyone who pretty much works here speaks perfect english or is American. We had a good night and went to a beach and had some hotdogs that I probably shouldnt have eaten. So we are going to hang out in this cool town for another day or two and head on out to Antigua and eventaully head towards El Salvador.
Well anyways...I hope you all have a safe and exciting filled life until next time.

1 comment: