Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mexico!!


So a lot has happened since my last post. We rode our bicycles from North San Juan California to Sacromento California which took about 1 day and a half. We took our time in Grass Valley where we stayed at a recording studio called Sun Sound Studios. The day after that we rode about 35 miles to Folsom California and slept at a camp ground. The day after that we rode on the beautiful American River bike path which was about 30 or 35 miles to Sacromento. When we got to Sacromento we went to the Mercy General hospital where Kipchoge visited his friend Issac who was in a car accident a couple weeks before. Then the whole gang met up at an Auto Zone where the Mexican bus picked us up. I was pretty nervous because it was my first time leaving the country and I didn´t have my mom with me. Before I go on any further I will introduce my traveling partners. I am traveling with the bicycle powered band called the Ginger Ninjas. I am their bicycle mechanic and bicycle power engineer. The lead singer is Kipchoge, the bassist is Jared May, the drummer is Dave Scandurra from Boston, then the second guitarist is Corey, the spanish pro is Matt, and the lovable Cara handles merchandise,food, expenses, etc. Kipchoge is the singer at guitarist. I met them last September while they were on their east coast tour. They were looking for a show to play and Worcester so I helped them out and got them a place to stay for the night. Then the next day, which was my birthday, I went to Boston with them for three days where we met Dave the drummer. So back to my story...

So we were on the Mexico bus for about 16 hours from Sacromento to Tijuana. Then after we crossed the boarder we took another bus which was about 36 hours to Gaudalajara. We packed all of our bicycles on the bus and about 30 bags of personal/band equipment. So we got to Gaudalajara where I currently am now. We stayed at his friend Chava´s house for a couple of days. Now we are staying at his friend tzintzuni´s house. She is really cool and has a big house. We have already played three shows so far. I am in charge of hooking up the generator system which connects to the bicycles. People ride the bicycles during every show to generate electricity to the equipment, for example the P.A system, amplifiers, etc. It is really fun and interesting. I am having an amazing time and will keep having a great time. My Spanish isn´t so great since I got seperated from the group last night and couldn´t find them for a couple of hours. I tried asking a couple of people where I last saw them but I couldn´t understand. Then a couple of people pointed in a couple of directions so I just kept going straight and eventually I made it to downtown. In the meantime the band realized I wasn´t behind them and started seraching everywhere for me. I should of waited in the spot where I lost them. A bag fell off my xtracycle trailer while I was the last one in the group riding. So I stopped and put it back on. Since I was busy I didn´t realize they took a turn just up ahead. So after I got situated and fixed my belongings and I kept going straight instead of turning, since I didn´t know I had to turn. The rule of thumb is to wait for the last person riding if you are the second to last person. It´s an important job, but the last person who did it, which was Corey I think, didn´t. So I kept going straight and eventually got to down town when I went to the same exact plaza where the band played the night before. I biked aroudn the plaza a couple of times searching for anyone the I recognized from the night before. I didn´t recognize anyone but I did find two cool people sitting on a bench. Their names were Marcela and Christian. I went up to them and said ¿Hablo Inglis? and the Marcela said she did a little. So I told them my situation and we didn´t know what to do. Christian barely speaks any English at all. So we got to an internet cafe we I emailed Kipchoge and told him I was lost and was downtown. Then after I emailed them Marcela said I could stay at christians. I said yes even though I should of waited at the cafe for a respond email. So Marcela went home and me and christian went to his house. We couldn´t communicate since he doesn´t speak english and I don´t speak much spanish. Then I used his computer and saw the response from Kipchoge saying to meet him at the plaza. So after a moment of confusion from mis communication, I put my belongings in Christians sister or friends car and followed the car to the plaza by bike. I finally met up with Jared at the plaza and thanked Christian by saying mucho gracias over and over again. I kept saying chido too which means cool, i think. So the moral of the story is..... have fun whenever you get lost in Mexico. And don´t talk to sketchy people, which I didn´t. So check out pleasantrevolution.net for the band´s blog and tour shcedule and see the picture of the whole crew. You can´t see me because I am behind dave, but you can see my helmet and hands in the air.

3 comments:

  1. BICYCLE POWERED ROCK!! AMAZING!! Is there video of this anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is a video and some pictures on pleasantrevolution.net and there are some pics on picasa. You can search for gingerninjas

    ReplyDelete