Sunday, March 29, 2009

Back in Panajachel

So after spending a long time in Antigua having fun filled adventures, I have come back to Panajachel. Paco and Dave have been playing in cafes,bars and parks every night and collecting some tip money, while I have just been chilling out and just going with the flow. I played my synthesizer with them the other night while Dave and Paco got to open an open mic night where we got free food. We played for a good hour or so and it was pretty fun. A half hour into it the place was pretty dead with only 2 people in the crowd. But then about 15 mins later the place filled up with about 20 people or so. There was this great band from Guatemala City and they were really good.
It has been cool hanging out with Paco and Dave but I was definitly getting an over load of Antigua. It was way to expensive and there were way too many touristas, mostly rich college kids on spring break. I did meet a lot of cool though and we went to a couple cool parties. And we went to a pretty pumpin party on the sidewalk when I was with Dave one night. Dave was playing the jembi and there were like 30 people just singing chants and dancing around and acting silly. Then the cops came with their big machine guns and every one started to split and I made Dave leave with me. Right when we started to leave about 6 or 7 cops just surrounded this one funny kid who didnt do anything and just start to hit him and put hand cuffs on him and arrest him. Then thats when I started to walk a lot faster.
I am going to San Marcos tomorrow to look for a good spanish school or teacher and stay there for about a week. If I just find a teacher I think that Dave and I will stay at this awesome guy Hectors house. He will let us stay in his house for free if we take care of it and his pets and help work in his garden while he lives in his Grandmothers house in Pana.
Then after I learn some spanish I will head on out towards Texas alone in Mexico. I am going to take a shuttle bus to San Crystalbol De la Casa, Chiapas and from there find a way towards Texas. I need to work on my bike because my gears are getting all funky and all the gears are starting to slip and change automatically while I am riding. It is a little different not being in such a bring group anymore. I felt pretty safe with the whole group but now I feel like I have a lot more time to explore by myself and check out some scenes while I am here. The market in Antigua is definitly a really cool market with loads of fruits,veggies,raw meat hanging around with tons of flys and people with fly swatters swatting the flys on the meat, lots of donated clothes from America( I think tjmax and marshals send their clothes to Guatemala after they cant sell old clothes because I saw a lot of clothes with Marshals stickers on them),cheap meals for under a under an american dollar and much much more.

2 comments:

  1. Josh,
    It sounds like you are having the time of your life!
    Where are pics of these places you have been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definately down with a rad cross continental bike tour of south america a couple of years into the future. I know of an awesome bike advocacy/critical mass org in Quito Ecuador where we could chill for a bit. We should make a goal for a certain time period like the first half of 2012 so we can make it a reality!! I'm going to be in Kenya and Sudan from May 11 to probably Aug 20. I just found out that the second connecting flight I'm taking has a 10 pound weight limit. So i get to bring 10 pounds of things with me for 3 months. I'll have never roughed it like this before. But it will allow me for complete immersion and seperation from material possesions!

    chelsea

    ReplyDelete